Forest Schools is taught as part of the curriculum in EYFS and Key Stage 1 and is linked to the children's topic or Science learning. In Key Stage 2, Forest School is included during WOW week.
We believe Forest Schools is important in:
- raising the quality of teaching and learning in the outdoor environment
- improving the understanding of how learning outside the classroom can be used as a tool for whole school improvement – particularly in terms of behaviour management, attendance and attainment;
- giving the children the opportunity to explore and experience the natural world for themselves.
- teaching pupils through experience, to know about, and value, the benefits of the environment.
- giving a combination of freedom and responsibility which benefits children with little confidence or challenging behaviour
Our WOW curriculum enables pupils to develop different skills and learning behaviours.
- Self esteem
- Problem solving skills
- Team work
- An awareness of being safe
- Positive attitude towards learning